Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Mallorca es hermoso (is beautiful!)













You know that holiday smell the one that is really hard to describe but as soon as you smell it you know that you're on a break, Mallorca (Majorca) has that in spades....





It was the last bank holiday for the year so I thought lying on a beach without much sightseeing to do sounded like a very cunning plan. So I brushed up on my Spanish and in two hours there I was in 31c, six miles of beaches and in my accomodation.





There didn't seem to have been many Kiwis in Mallorca before me all the taxi drivers and hotel staff that I spoke to couldn't believe that I was from NZ as it was so far away. I had decided to stay in a part of Mallorca that was home to German, French and of course Spanish as I didn't feel like hanging in Magaluf, where 1 in 10 Brits aged 20 - 35 gets in a fight, consequently I spoke Spanish all day.

<




I did do a small amount of sightseeing in Palma de Mallorca, beautiful Cathedral with the interior designed by Gaudi, and a spectacular view of Palma from Castle de Bellver.











Fantastic few days, although I blame a book I was reading for how red I got on day 2, I was using factor 30 and still got a little burnt, and they say that the NZ sun in brutal.

1 comment:

summer wine said...

Not at all what I expected. Not a rednecked pom to be seen!! Lovely to see the photos.