Saturday, August 2, 2008

Pilgrims called to Canterbury







Chi, Oanh and I descended on Canterbury, its very different from New Zealand's version!





We were a little shocked when we first arrived as it all seemed extremely modern, lots and lots of shops, I wasn't complaining but I wasn't really there to flex my credit card muscles....then thru an alley way we got our first glimpse of the Christchurch Cathedral (aka Canterbury Cathedral) it was impressive even though the day was a little mucky due to the very high humidity.




Inside it was impressive, vast areas and amazing chapels. The Black Prince, Henry IV are buried here. We went back to medieval times and got to live thru Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, pretty cool as you got to imagine what life was like back then.



We went for a walk around the streets and found the rest of Canterbury to be much more what we thought, lots of quirky houses and lolly shops, I even found a sweet that I loved as a kid, sad as it sounds they are white chocolate skulls with a strawberry (sickly sweet filling) needless to say I had to try some....

1 comment:

summer wine said...

Can't get over just how much you are doing and seeing. Canterbury looks fascinating - and all so close! Loved the photos of London too. Have you managed to see a play at the Globe?