Thursday, June 19, 2008

Naples & Pompeii




I set off for Naples and Pompeii with a little bit of trepidation as Naples was on a travel black list as no rubbish had been picked up for six months!
Naples wasn’t quite as dirty as I would have expected it to be, a few mounds of rubbish but nothing compared to what I had visions of, piles of rubbish, rats etc you get the picture.

The Bay of Naples was nothing short of stunning apart from no beach only concrete slabs I just don’t get that about some European Beaches.

Saw the fort, castles and Main Street of Naples a bit whistle-stop really the main draw card of this area for me was Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius.

Pompeii is about an hour away from Naples reached by going across the Vesuvio plains; my first glimpse of Mt Vesuvius was a mist like shrouded mountain very ethereal.



Reached Pompeii and I was blown away immediately the mosaics on the walls of houses, the streets themselves and the way everything including the stumps of trees had been preserved by the ash and mud.


We saw old theatres, houses, bars and even street advertising from 59AD it’s amazing how advanced they were. The body casts were unbelievable, unreal to think that they were killed instantly in such a horrific way that they were captured in mid pose.





While we were there a torrential downpour happened it was fantastic as you got to see how all the ancient guttering still worked, I was also pretty happy as I had decided to wear jandals and had received a couple of reproving looks but it was commented on that after the deluge I had made the better choice, lol.






Thoroughly recommend Pompeii you could spend days there its huge, not the small village I imagined...





No comments: