Tuesday, April 29, 2008

WSPANIAŁY (means Gorgeous) Krakow

When I first arrived into Poland it was bitterly cold, I thought London had been cold but that was really mild in comparison, gotta love spring in the Northern Hemisphere... Well I rugged up the best that I could, picture this me wearing just about all the clothes that I brought to Poland I started to resemble the Michelen Man and headed out to Auschwitz-Birkenau.


It was really sad but I think it (or another Concentration Camp) should be a must do on everyone's list as you can read about something and think you understand but once you arrive where 1.5 million people were murdered it brings it all home.

Onto lighter stuff Krakow itself is just gorgeous, amazing architecture, really lovely people and it just has a great vibe. I spent most of my time in the Stare Miasto (which is the Old Town) lots of images of Pope John Paul II everywhere.



Ate lots of Polish food some of the dishes were interesting, dumplings (originally thought they would be like Gyoza I was wrong!) cooked in lard topped with chunks of lard needless to say it was pretty fatty.

Spent some time visiting the Wieliczka Salt Mine 135 metres underground the stairs to get down went on and on and on to get out was only 40 seconds in a miners lift. Novel experience being crammed into a confined space with 9 people who don't speak your language praying that it would work better than the lifts in 80 Boulcott used too! Pretty impressive cathedral with everything made of salt roof, floor and even the chandeliers



Krakow changed as the weekend drew closer (I definitly preferred it better during the week) it was invaded by British stag parties, needless to say if any of you have had the pleasure of seeing what Brit guys are like away from home in packs...I pretended to speak some form of language which was beyond what you or I could understand, lol



I really enjoyed Poland its history, people and culture, simply magic

1 comment:

summer wine said...

Looks so lovely. No wonder you wanted to go. Hope the bug has flown.