Sunday, April 20, 2008

Bonjour Paris

This is the second time that I've been to Paris and I saw so much more this time I managed to give myself some mean looking blisters on my feet, its a hard life being a backpacker...

The first night I arrived I went to the Montmarte area (Red Light district) and decided to go to the Moulin Rouge it was fantastic and definitly something I hadn't done before...you tended to forget they were topless methinks that if I were male I might have thought a little differently!

The Notre Dame Towers were well worth the hour long wait where I got up close and personal with some gargoyles. The very top of the Eiffel Tower made me feel a wee bit light headed but the views were spectacular. I spent the afternoon gazing in wonder at Van Gogh’s, Monets and Picasso’s at the Musee D’Orsay, simply magnificient.



The next day I went out to the Chateau de Versailles, beautiful gardens and the Chateau itself was very ornate. I much preferred the Domaine de Marie Antoinette more rustic and down to earth and a bit of fresh air versus the structure of the chateau and main gardens.



I visited the Catacombes they were creepy and you had to walk 500 metres underground just to get to the main ossuary, a little un-nerving by yourself but no pain no gain. There are more people laid to rest down there than are living in the whole of Paris.



I went to the Louvre saw the Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo and managed to see an expedition on Babylon only slight problem was that all the information was in french luckily with my crash course in French (plus my Spanish knowledge) I still managed to get a little bit out of it.

No visit to Paris would be complete with out eating Crepes yum yum yum, and of course sampling some of the other delicacies snails...





If and when you visit Paris the hostel that I stayed out was the best hostel that I have ever stayed at very clean, hostel staff were helpful and beautifully positioned by a canal.

http://www.st-christophers.co.uk/paris-hostels

2 comments:

Talisman Farm said...

Hate you!!! (kidding of course, love you really) - Sounds like you are having a fabulous time - God I loved Paris. Maybe one day I will get there again. Keep having a great time xxx

summer wine said...

All sounds such fun! Hope it gets warmer. Looking forward to more.
LOL.