Monday, November 10, 2008

Ghent and Brussels - Belgium



Ghent is an old fishing village that is very deserving of a visit in its own right.




The view from Sint-Michiels Bridge is just gorgeous, had a canal trip here most definitely the way to really see the city as you would have seen it from the boats.


The architecture in Belgium is amazing the houses look like jigsaw puzzles and if you just moved them like so maybe they would all fit together.







Trams were a very easy way to get around the town and a good way of making sure you were heading in the sort of right direction.

Brussels is famous for being the headquarters of the European Union and of course the Manneken Pis. The statue is tiny and was dressed like a chef? I think when I got there.




Apparently to celebrate prostrate awareness (which I am mindful of as its Movember, on that note there are some truly interesting moustaches in the first stages of being grown at my work but that’s another story) it stopped peeing for a day, what a politically correct statue.





Went on a city tour as I had my overnight bag and believe me it made a racket going across the cobblestoned streets, saw the Atomium left over from a world fair, very unique. Saw the parts of Brussels that are euro-cratified (not sure this is a word but you get what I mean).





Finished my trip off with some more coffee – bliss (wait till you have the pleasure of experiencing and UK coffee which is made in two seconds flat I kid you not) to fully appreciate my happiness at having a decent cup of coffee, and a Brussels waffle.


1 comment:

summer wine said...

so many photos, so much travel, such interesting places. You look so happy. Looks cold tho.
Much love.