Monday, November 10, 2008

Brugge (Bruges) Belgium







Had a lovely start on the Eurostar, the night before I couldn’t resist and had a Bolly at the longest champagne bar in the world at St Pancras, it just had to be done and I can think of quite a few friends who I wished were there with me.




After being a little disappointed that my trip to Exmoor was postponed I thought nothing left but fulfil I wish I had to go on the Eurostar: destination Bruges.

It was a little eerie on the train to think that you were under all that water but in no time at all I was in Belgium and a quick transfer via Brussels to Bruges.





I spent the afternoon seeing the sights by canal boat, visited the best brewery tour I have ever been on. 237 steps most of which you have to negotiate backwards (as they are that steep) it definitely pays to have not drunk too much before going, but that would spoil the fun, wouldn’t it?




The guide also imparted some wise knowledge it’s not the beer that gives you a beer belly it’s all the food that you eat that goes with it that does it!

Walked and walked and walked some more around the canals and saw some amazing autumn colours, and building truly exceptional.

The next day I got up at dawn, a trait learnt from Mum in Vietnam and saw the sun rise over some windmills, went back into the main centre and got some really nice canal shots again when it was quiet. I wasn’t prepared for how busy it was in the centre on Saturday, the day before it had been very quiet then bang, packed on the Saturday. I definitely preferred it on the Friday.




The land of chocolate, mussels, waffles, frites (fry’s) and beer…what more can I say I loved Bruges.






Finished out my trip with a visit to a Lace Museum (don’t bother going unless you really like lace) and a Chocolate museum, yum, yum, yum can’t get enough of those Belgium chocolates.


No comments: